Thursday 23 May 2013


Struggling to wake up at 6:30AM to ensure some breakfast in our bellies, we set off for an musical beach adventure that we honestly had no preconceptions about. We tried to leave for 7:30, but made it for 8:00, which is still pretty impressive. Godsway was not happy, but after playing ‘Waist and Power’ twice from his phone he was back to his admirable jolly mood.

We then set off for a beautiful and scenic 40-minute drive that led to us to a breathtaking view of the Atlantic Ocean at the small town of Denu, close to the border with Togo. The early morning was worth that view alone-blues and greens forming into teal that are sprinkled with white as the waves crash on a bed of sand heavily populated with shells. Moreover, this beautiful beach was secluded and empty, making us feel like it was made only for us. Fishermen on the ropes who had already set out their nets, as well as lots of crabs welcomed us. Not expecting this, we were all confused but enjoying every step of sand under our feet. Palm trees danced in the wind as waves formed and crashed and we, in between, walked along the shore taking in the sun while the rhythms of was taken in and we were all five shades darker (or redder). 

We were easily comforted when Torgbui bought us cold sodas and cookies and we then proceeded to admire the fishermen bringing in the fish. The song and rhythm were calm and slow until now, reflecting that of the waves. Matching the increasing intense movements of the fishermen, the song and rhythm became more vigorous and it seemed as though the waves of the Atlantic responded to this. Swimmers ensuring the nets were in place challenged the force of the waves and the two sides of the net, which were originally kilometer apart, inched closer and closer. Within twenty minutes, they were side by side and the fishermen were pulling in nets while the swimmers made it smooth.

While all this action was happening, more and more women came on to the beach balancing their beautiful baskets eager to fill them with fish. Finally the last of the nets came in, dense with fish of all sizes fluttering about as well as jellyfish and spiky blowfish. As the seaweed was weeded out, the jellyfish and blowfish were thrown back into sea or left on the beach.

All this, happening so fast, was crazy for us but eventually all the hullabaloo calmed down and we left with a huge fish that was yellow tailed but we don’t know what is called as well as lots of little fish that we know we will be eating for lunch tomorrow. Oh not to forget the octopus that Dennis and Kathy cannot wait to devour! It was dashed to us by the fishing net owner, who said our presence had brought them good luck. It was a bigger bounty than they had recently been having and they were very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.